Li Meng is a Partner in Christopher & Lee Ong’s Disptue Resolution & Litigation Practice Group.
Li Meng's portfolio covers a wide area of civil litigation with special focus on disputes relating to infrastructure and construction, telecommunications and industrial relations.
Since the coming into force of the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 (CIPAA), Li Meng expanded her scope of practice to advising and representing clients in CIPAA disputes. Li Meng is also a qualified Adjudicator empanelled with the Asian International Arbitration Centre.
The breadth of Li Meng's practice extends to regularly advising clients on employment/industrial relations issues and representing clients at both the Industrial Court as well as Civil Courts on those issues.
As a practitioner who is well-versed within the engineering and construction industry, she plays a vital role as an active member of Christopher & Lee Ong’s China Desk, resolving disputes promptly and economically for many Chinese investors in their investments into Malaysia.
Engineering & Construction Disputes
- Represented a mechanical and electrical consultant in successful adjudication and Court disputes against the Project Owner with regard to a construction dispute for the Damansara Uptown Development project, which has an estimated gross development value of MYR 900 million.
- Acted as counsel in an arbitration involving claims arising from the construction project of the Second Penang Bridge.
- Represented numerous clients in adjudication proceedings under Construction Industry Payment & Adjudication Act 2012.
- Advising the largest construction and real estate conglomerate in China in relation to construction disputes arising in Malaysia.
- Advising Japanese based multinational company in relation to the construction of a major infrastructure project in the Klang Valley.
Employment and Industrial Relations Disputes
- Advising clients on employment related matters including disciplinary matters and reviewing of employee handbooks / terms and conditions of employment.
- Appointed by clients to undertake independent investigation into allegations of misconduct of employees.
- Successfully advised a former employee of a multinational healthcare company. The client was dismissed from her employment on charges of negligence for failing to prevent fraudulent actions (embezzlement of the company’s funds) perpetrated by another (subordinate) employee. This is a precedent setting court decision that held that an employee cannot be placed with a duty to monitor every aspect of a subordinate’s discharge of duties.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Advising clients on health, safety and environment matters, including defending client against charges under the HSE legislations.
Joint Venture Disputes
- Acted as counsel in an arbitration involving joint venture disputes between oil and gas companies.
- Acted as counsel in an arbitration against the Government of Malaysia involving issues arising from a project to upgrade the software and hardware for the Ministry of Health.
- Acted as junior counsel in an arbitration involving disputes arising from the supply, installation and service management of telecommunication software and hardware for Mobile Virtual Network Operator and Mobile Virtual Network Enabler.
Directors and Shareholders Disputes
- Acted as junior counsel in an arbitration involving currency exchange issues between shareholders of joint venture company.
Admiralty and Maritime
- Representing an international forwarding and logistic company in setting aside an injunction restraining the release of cargo at port of discharge and defending claims arising from the release of the cargo.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member of the Malaysian Bar
- Panel Adjudicator with the Asian International Arbitration Centre
- Panel Mediator with the Asian International Arbitration Centre
- Panel Mediator with the Malaysian Mediation Centre
- Member of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Mediation Committee
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Construction Law Committee
- Member of the Malaysian Bar Council Arbitration Committee