Jack is a Partner in Christopher & Lee Ong’s Projects & Infrastructure and Banking & Finance practice groups.
He is recognised by IFLR1000 as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for both Project Development and Banking, rated by Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner for Projects & Energy and is also ranked by Chambers and Partners as Up and Coming for Projects, Infrastructure and Energy.
Clients of the Firm describe Jack as having 'good communication and analytical skills' and being 'able to think outside the box and is practical, flexible and knowledgeable'. Jack has attracted praise for being 'very responsive and knowledgeable' and has also been described as ‘experienced, knowledgeable, attentive and quick to address the client's needs’.
Jack regularly advises on Projects, Energy and Infrastructure matters and has significant experience advising sponsors / developers and project companies on the development and financing of infrastructure projects. He has a keen interest in the energy sector and has advised on an extensive range of renewable energy projects. Jack also acts for lenders and borrowers on a variety of Banking & Finance matters and also advises on Mergers & Acquisitions involving project assets.
His involvement in those practice areas allows him to integrate his practices to seamlessly drive negotiations and advise clients from the inception / initial structuring to financial closing of any infrastructure project, offering clients a one-stop point providing end-to-end advice across the entire project development and project financing lifecycle.
Construction & Projects and Energy & Natural Resources
- Advised the sponsor and project company on the development of a 78MW nearshore wind power project in Vietnam.
- Advised and continue to advise the respective investors, co-sponsors, project companies and contractors on the development of no less than twelve (12) large-scale solar power plants in Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah which were awarded via / under direct award and the LSS1, LSS2 and LSS3 programmes. Projects that have achieved commercial operations or are currently being constructed include plants with capacity of 150MWac, 50MWac, 30MWac, 30MWac, 30MWac, and 4MWac, respectively.
- Advised the sponsor and project company on the development of a 2x600MW coal fired power project in Vietnam.
- Advised a paper and packaging manufacturer on the development of a paper machine, a waste water treatment plant, a raw water treatment plant and a demineralisation water treatment plant.
- Advised and continue to advise local and international sponsors, developers, investors, project companies and contractors on the participation, structuring, licensing, submission of bids, development, and project financing of various renewable energy power projects in Malaysia under the large scale solar (LSS) programme, net energy metering (NEM) scheme and feed-in tariff (FiT) regime.
- Advised SunEdison, Inc. on the entire development life cycle of solar power plants in excess of 19MW in capacity, from initial project conception up to financial close, and the structuring and inclusion of 12MW of its Malaysian solar assets in its yieldco vehicle, TerraForm Global, Inc., for the latter’s IPO on the NASDAQ.
- Advised on the development of a biogas power plant and the management and treatment of pig waste generated for the purposes of fuelling the plant.
- Advised a renewable energy developer on the development of a power generation system (thermal oil heater and organic rankine cycle turbine and generator) on a build-own-operate-transfer basis.
- Advised on the development of a biogas capturing plant on a build-own-operate-transfer basis.
Banking & Finance
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to the lenders in respect of an approximately USD 10.4 billion project financing facility granted by over 20 financial institutions for the development of a petrochemical and refinery project in Malaysia.
- Advised the borrower on an acquisition financing to finance the acquisition of 17 hospitals in Southeast Asia.
- Advised and continue to advise the respective sponsors and project companies on the financing for the development of solar power plants in Malaysia, whether by way of issuance of bonds / Sukuk, by way of project financing via term loan or by way of equity / internal / alternative financing. Financial close achieved for projects with respective capacities of 150MWac, 50MWac, 30MWac, 30MWac and 30MWac, among others.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a foreign financial institution on the provision of a foreign currency facility for the development of a power plant in Malaysia.
- Advised the sponsor and project company on a USD syndicated loan for the project financing of a 2x600MW coal fired power project in Vietnam.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a foreign financial institution on the provision of a multicurrency facility for the development of glass production lines in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a project company operating in the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Development Area, on a USD syndicated loan to finance the development of a gas transmission pipeline system.
- Advised the sponsor and project companies on MYR syndicated loans to finance the development of educational institutions.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to the lenders in relation to a USD syndicated loan to project finance the construction of an oil storage terminal, and advised on the post financing restructuring, expansion of the project, up to the repayment of the facility.
- Advised the borrower on financing to fund the purchase of land and development of an integrated development consisting residential, retail and commercial amenities on it.
- Advised a Japanese financial institution on the provision of a revolving credit facility worth approximately MYR 150 million to a Malaysian insurance and loan provider company.
- Acted for a subsidiary of Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund on a MYR 31.6 million loan facility to finance the production of a theatrical motion picture.
- Advised a subsidiary of the largest financial services group in the Nordic region and one of the biggest banks in Europe with regards to a novation exercise in connection to the merger between two financial institutions conducted under the European Union’s Directive 2005/56/EC on cross- border mergers of limited liability companies.
- Advised the sponsor and project companies on an MYR loan to project finance solar power plants with an aggregate capacity of 12MW, and advised on the loan restructuring up to repayment of the facility.
- Advised a hospitality company in relation to an MYR refinancing facility.
- Advised a Malaysian company in the healthcare sector on a multicurrency syndicated revolving facility to fund acquisitions, investments and its expansion.
- Advised a foreign financial institution and a foreign distressed and special opportunities fund in the provision of USD facilities to a group of companies involved in the steel industry in Malaysia, up to the repayment and discharge of the facilities.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised a pulp and paper manufacturer on the acquisition of a piece of land for approximately MYR 150 million.
- Advised global paints and coating company AkzoNobel in its acquisition of the Malaysian paints and coatings manufacturer Colourland Paints Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised on the disposal of shares in project companies operating solar power plants with an aggregate capacity of 5.3MW.
- Advised London-listed Aseana Properties Ltd on the disposal of Aloft Kuala Lumpur Sentral Hotel.
- Advised on the disposal of the entire equity interest in TF Value-Mart Sdn Bhd, operator of a hypermarket chain in Malaysia, to KV Asia Capital, a private equity firm.
- Advised on the disposal of all shares in Gading Sari Aviation Services Sdn Bhd, an air freight operator.
- Advised a property development company listed on the London Stock Exchange on its proposals to facilitate the return of cash to its shareholders.
- Advised Ireka Corporation Berhad, a Bursa Malaysia-listed entity, on its proposed capital reduction and privatisation exercise and its subsequent rights issue.
- Advised Aliran Ihsan Resources Berhad, then a Bursa Malaysia-listed entity, on its capital reduction and privatisation exercise.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn
- Co-Author, “Lending and taking security in Malaysia: overview”, Practical Law, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019
- Author, Malaysian chapter, “Guide on Promissory Notes and Cheques”, Italian Business Association (Vicenza), July 2014
- Contributor, “Media and Entertainment - A Practical Legal, Business & Strategy Guide”, Sweet & Maxwell Asia, ISBN 978-967-0498-64-5, September 2013